Building Scoot: a Glen-L 15 sloop-rigged sailboat.
Update, August, 2014
December 6, 2008.
So I’m building another boat. A 15′ day sailor: Sloop rigged. Open cockpit. Hard-chined. I will keep this one. It’ll serve well as a fine boat to mess about in. I’ll try to document the progress as I go and post photos.
December 7, 2008
This is a marine ply on oak frames boat.
I selected this plan (Glen-L 15) as I thought it would go a lot faster than a lapstrake (glued or otherwise) or a strip/cold-molded boat. I started getting out the frames 11 months ago (January, 2008). It is now December. I am not making the headway I had anticipated. Guess work gets in the way of working on the boat . . .
I decided to use 9mm (closer to 3/8″) okoume rather than the 1/4″ that the plans call for. My thinking was that I intend to use this to mess about in, it’ll get bumped a lot, etc. and this would handle it better.
That thinking may have been flawed.
It adds weight of course but, more importantly, I am having trouble making the bottom planking take the curve forward at the bow and the stem. I may resort to a sort of modified glued lapstrake planking there.
Having said that, I have freed it from the forms. I can still lift it off the forms myself. A couple of us ought to be able to lift it to turn it at the appropriate time.
December 9, 2008.
I decided to split the forward plank panels in order to accomodate the tight turn to the stem. I spiled the shapes and they fit well – well, at least the first completed one does, I have yet to complete the others.
This solution has spawned a new problem though. The curve of the plank has been disrupted by making two instead of one. There is a tendency for the plank that fastens at the chine to lean in as a result of the stress. This will require adding at least one and probably two braces to ensure that the planks retain the sweep they should in order to keep a fair line.
Ah well, if it was easy why would I do it?
December 21, 2008
I spiled a garboard plank and another adjacent forward of frame 5, on the port side. All is fitting well. I glued battens on the inboard side to provide a landing for thickened epoxy and screws to join these planks together securely. I like the hull shape a lot.
I’ve begun the same process for the starboard side.
December 27, 2008
I meant to write something on the 27th but forgot.
January 1, 2009.
Happy New Year.
Completed planking the hull a day or two ago. I filled the screw holes with marine epoxy putty and sanded smooth. Have been fairing with thickened epoxy – just a couple of spots so far. I started marking the waterline today while the epoxy dries.
May 2, 2009
Finally getting back to this blog. I finished planking the hull, fiberglassed the bottom up to the waterline and completed painting the exterior of the hull. I used Petit bottom paint, a non-ablative variety that will not wear off and is used for boats that will be trailered (as this will be). I used a Petit epoxy-based topsides paint – dark green from the sheer to the waterline and put in a 1″ boot stripe using a gloss white Petit topside paint.
Turning the boat over. I had to fabricate a 4′ x 5′ cradle in order to turn the boat over. Built a plywood form to fit the hull with 4″ casters on the base so that we could roll the whole thing around once we got it turned. (I built it pointing the wring way, need to spin it once it comes time to load it onto the trailer.) The cradle had integral plywood wheel forms to facilitate rolling it over. Did include a flat spot on the wheel forms so that the whole thing could be stopped in a stable manner at a strategic moment in the process, allowing us to race around to the other side and let it down slowly. Here is what the cradle looked like:
May 3, 2009
Have been stiffening the interior of the hull at the bow. Have scarfed some oak together for the 12′ longitudinal carlings that will support both the side decking and the cockpit coaming. Am working on intermediate deck beam as well. Have been sanding the interior to get ready to paint the bilge. Want to do that before I make and lay the floorboards.
Need to get out the starboard carling still, will use the port carling as a pattern (checked already, it will fit). Fitted the intermediate deck beam and need to finish the starboard blocking.
Here is a shot of the centerboard trunk as it stands as of today:
May 2, 2010.
I have made a lot of progress since the last post, I just have not made updates here. The deck is on, faired, painted with two coats of primer and two initial coats of topside paint. The mahogany cockpit coaming is installed after a great deal of frustrating steaming and bending (!). The mahogany rub rail and faux breasthook is installed. The latter will host the bronze bow plate for the forestay. The stainless steel bow eye is installed. The transom as two coats of primer and will get a few coats of green topside paint later.
I will upload new photos soon (hopefully).
I ordered two 24″ lengths of 2″x 4″ Sitka Spruce for the mast. It will have to wait until summer to get fabricated. . .
July 18, 2010.
Have been working on the mast. Roughed out the shape with a taper on the forward side. Laminating to get the appropriate thickness and will shape so the cross section is roughly “egg-shaped” beginning at about 5 feet from the base, ending in a round shape the last foot or so. The mast is 22 feet in height.